In Kampala: Traffic officers using fake express penalty forms
22:47
Unscrupulous traffic officer are using forged Express Penalty
Scheme (EPS) forms (popularly referred to as receipts) as a tool of
extorting money from traffic offending motorists.
Investigations by the Saturday Monitor can reveal
that some officers using fake books, arrest traffic offenders ranging
from those without driving licenses to those that are driving on road
shoulders. However, instead of issuing forms that the offenders are
supposed to use to pay into the bank, the officers use forms from the
fake books to blackmail motorists into paying them cash (often less than
the official fine) and the form is then purportedly cancelled, leaving
the offenders to drive off free.
In our investigations, drivers narrated how the
officers intimidate them into paying a fine in cash, or else their
vehicles or driving licences are detained.
In all the scenarios, the officers identified an
offence with the driver, immediately recorded the offences but the forms
are written out but not issued. If one pleads and offers to part with a
little cash, then the form is “cancelled”. Most motorists do not know
whether the form is genuine of fake.
The Commissioner for Traffic in Kampala city, Mr
Lawrence Niwabiine, expressed shock on looking at the fake EPS book that
our reporter had obtained from Nkrumah Road in Kampala saying, “People
have now gone too far.” “Unless it is a Police officer like us who have
spent some time on this job, a lay man cannot differentiate this EPS
book from a genuine one,” Mr Niwabiine said.
Ms Sarah Kibwika, the Ag. Assistant Commissioner
of Traffic, however said that she could not tell how a traffic officer
would benefit from printing a fake book. She instead accused offenders
of forging bank receipts. “The actual problem is of people forging paid
bank receipts to dupe Police that they have paid their fine. But I would
like to assure them that their receipts will remain pending in our
records and we will track them.”
Ms Kibwika said motorist should know that a
genuine receipt cannot be cancelled. “The only ground that can happen is
when the offender appears in court and proves that the receipt was
wrongly issued.”
The books are prone to abuse since they lack safety features. “The best people can do is to consult the Uganda Revenue Authority,” said Mr Niwabiine.
The books are prone to abuse since they lack safety features. “The best people can do is to consult the Uganda Revenue Authority,” said Mr Niwabiine.
The books are procured by URA and fetched from the
body’s offices by the procurement officer who registers all the books
received and their serial numbers. At the police headquarters, each
Police station head collects books that will be used at their respective
police stations after registering the serial numbers that have been
dispatched to their stations.
At the police stations, each officer in possession
of the book will be registered and he will have to provide a weekly
report of the receipts issued and other details of the offender. Efforts
to get comment from URA were futile as the officers responsible were
said to be in a meeting.
How easy it was to buy the fake book
We embarked on a process to procure the EPS form
book, and got it in a space of three days. A long Nkrumah Road, in one
of the many printing companies, I asked a gentleman clad in black jeans,
tucked in a white shirt, and dark blue sunglasses hanging by his
forehead where we could get the EPS form books. I told him I needed a
duplicated EPS book. Without hesitation, the gentleman asked me how much
I would offer him as he called his colleague who he ordered to talk to
me and take my order.
I was told to pay Shs450,000 for it, but said I
had Shs100,000. We bargained and he told me that if I do not have
Shs250,000, I cannot get the book anywhere. Not knowing much, I budged
and promised to call him. Three days later, I called him at around 11am
and told him that he should process the book as I would need it in the
evening. He told me to first deposit at least Shs100, 000, which I did.
Within two-and-a-half hours, the gentleman called
that the book was ready. I picked it, paid the balance Shs150,000 and
waved good bye.

0 comments:
Post a Comment